Monday, 3 November 2008

Another Christmas Bauble!

I was browsing the Internet yesterday and came cross a site by a UK SU! demonstrator, Margaret, who had posted a gorgeous little decoration she had made and she provided a link to the instructions.

She did warn it would take some time to do and as I love any form of origami I felt I had to give it a go.

You need to make 30 little kite units, I have used these individual units before to make other little boxes and designs but this is the first time I have seen them like this.

Not knowing what size squares to start with I tried 5cm squares, so I I cut myself 30 5cm squares from one of my fave DSPs, Wintergreen, and took myself to bed where I folded as I watched 'Eight Below' (I recorded it ages ago and never had time to watch it. So sad and so happy too, folding all the shapes stopped me from shedding a tear - I am such a woos!)

So here is what I made


It is very beautiful but i am not sure I would have the patience to do another at this stage...lol

The biggest difficulty I had to the fact the fantastic quality of the DSP goes against using it for origami. It is perfect in the way it is double sided but it is just a little too heavy to achieve the really sharp folds you need when the paper is folded more than once. Proper origami paper is so much thinner.

Anyway, if you feel brave and would like to have a go at creating this then here is the link to the instructions. I would love to see any pictures of ones you make so please do email them to me!

No comments: