Tuesday, 12 August 2008

Boxes Galore

I know I have been quiet again but I have had been poorly - I had a cold on top of a pre-existing chest infection so as you can imagine I was pretty blurghhh! The good news is I am feeling much better apart from this never ending cough I seem to be reluctant to get rid of!

Before I go on I would like to ask you all to say a prayer for a friend of ours, he is our sons' cub leader, him and his wife are fantastic with the time they give up to the youngsters and both such lovely people. Sadly on Thursday last week he was hit by a bus in the city centre. He is stable in hospital but in an induced coma due to swelling in his brain. Of course his wife and three sons are beside themselves with worry. It seems that bad things keep happening to the good. Please keep Greg in your thoughts and send him lots of positive vibes for a speedy and full recovery.

Despite being under the weather last week I managed to take my Wednesday project classes and together we made Origami Boxes. Using just one sheet of DSP and two sheets of A4 card stock each, we each managed to make 3 little gift boxes. One very small one and two larger ones.

Here are some pictures of a few i made for demo purposes. The first two are samples of the small box, I have used Old Olive Designer Series paper for these.

The stamp used here to decorate the band around the box comes from the Always set in the new Spring Mini and the scallop punch decorated with a white signo gel pen from the main catalogue.

This box was decorated with a band made from River Rock card stock and I used the five petal flower punch and a button from the Earth Elements button collection. I adhered the button with Crystal Effects as it is a very strong adhesive on top of it's many other uses!

As the boxes are quite tricky to open as the lid and base are the same depth and such a snug fit I used the slit punch to remove a little on two opposite sides of the lid. It would be just as effective to use a circle punch such as the 3/4" one to achieve the same.

Here is a sample of one of the bigger boxes

This one is a little trickier to make as to get the lid to be less in depth than the base isn't as simple as one would think! (of course it may be that I went around it the long way!).

The stamp on the top is again from the new Spring Mini and the set is called One of a Kind. I scored it so that it took on a wavy appearance more as an experiment than anything else, but I kind of like the texture it gives!

The Origami box is actually very simple to make,I shall try to add a tutorial as soon as I can or you can email me for instructions.


I think you will agree they are lovely and with all the gorgeous DSPs SU! have and the coordinating cardstock you can imagine the beautiful boxes the ladies who attended my classes made!

No comments: