Thursday, 19 June 2008

Back In Aus and the new kitchen!

Well finally I am back in Aus - 'bout time too I heart some of you say! I arrived back to my Aussie home with mixed feelings. Of course I am pleased to be back here to see my friends, get the kids back to school, resume my sailing and of course Stampin' Up! etc. but I am sad at laving the UK. Everything there is so green and lush whereas here everything is yellow and dry, we need rain so badly. I really noticed how bad it has got being away for those few weeks. Of course I am incredibly sad to leave my family and friends over there too and my house. I didn't really get to have a good time as I ended up fitting this dastardly kitchen.

I have decided to put some photos up so you can see what I have been banging on about! This is the kitchen as it was, not too bad visually but it was falling apart. It was held together with tape in many places and battens were only just keeping the wall units up. We needed a new kitchen so we can rent the property.

The first thing to do was rip out the existing one, this wasn't too bad and to be honest it is a huge room with an office next to it which I converted in to a temporary kitchen so the disruption was minimal. I appreciated having all the space so much!

I got the kitchen from Ikea as the prices are so reasonable but it meant I had to make all the units up myself. It wasn't hard, just tedious! The worst job by far was putting the units in place and levelling them up and connecting them to each other and the wall. Every time we adjusted one thing the rest would go out of line. Fortunately my my brother was here to help me fit the kitchen and between us we managed to get all the base units in and level. Here is a lovely pic of his bottom and my youngest helper!


As soon as these were in we got someone to fit the worktops which was beyond either of our skill levels (and so it appeared to be with the man that came and did it, he had to redo them, at my insistence, as they were sooo bad!). This meant the sink could be refitted which meant I didn't have to do the washing up in the bath any more! Even better it meant I could fit the integral dishwasher so I didn't have to wash up at all!!!

As things progressed I put the doors on the units, installed the oven and got someone in to install the gas hob. The my brother and I tackled the cooker hood and wall units, this was our most difficult bit I think, the walls are so out of line and when we got a place to put the wall units up our little meter told us there was a cable exactly where we needed to drill holes - we were very frustrated! But finally they too were up!


And I put handles on the doors, deciding to go with symmetry I steamed ahead only to find I made a bit of an error, can you spot it?!

Ooops!!

So another trip to Ikea to buy some replacement door fronts so I could reposition the handles was made! (this was my 3rd or 4th trip - Ikea is 1 hours drive from us!)

My in-laws thankfully offered their services and came over and fitted the plinths and cover panels for me which was fantastic as at the same time as fitting the kitchen I was looking after 3 kids on my own, decorating other parts of the house, preparing all meals for all people, emptying sheds and lofts, organising shipping, sorting and packing as well as arranging for an agent to take the house on and having new windows and doors fitted in the kitchen, selling and tipping unwanted stuff - I didn't sleep much and any help was gratefully received!

I had no time to tile the kitchen or source and alternative splash back so I simply put quadrant around the work top at the backs to neaten where the walls were out. Once that was all done I turned myself to the utility room where new units were put in, new worktop and decorating, my mum helped with that one!

So these next pictures are off the finished product (very empty though as the shipping men had removed all my stuff before I got a chance to use the kitchen) also the windows are bare as I did not have time to put the blinds back up.



So ironic that I had waited 8 years to get a new kitchen and now I have one I won't get the chance to use it. I purposely did not design it exactly as I was going to have it as I knew that I was not doing it for me. I would have had a double sized oven, a proper breakfast bar and some other bits put in so I console myself with the fact it isn't exactly what I wanted anyway!

I am really proud of what has been achieved, By trade I am a scientist who has given that up to become a mum and a crafter, I am not a kitchen fitter and did not plan on doing this but needs must!

I could not have done it with out the help of family, my dad for helping me dismantle the old one, my step-mum for childcare, my brother for helping me fit, my sil for letting me have my brother for a few days, my in-laws for child care and fitting and my mum and step-dad for child care, decorating, tip runs and general support! Thanks guys!!!!

Well having done that I shall now go back to the card making!!!

2 comments:

Mae Collins said...

Welcome back Lynda! Looks like you achieved a major project, you should be proud of yourself. Happy stamping again and have fun at the Craft Fair, hope to see you there!

Lynda Moss said...

Thanks Mae, I am still deciding whether it is good to be back or not! I may have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire methinks! I keep telling myself that in a weeks time I can chill!