Wednesday, 2 April 2008

A wedding card.....

I wanted to have a go at making a wedding invitation so I could show prospective brides what can be achieved with SU! products, where they can either make the invites themselves or commission me to make them.

I tried a number of different styles with a carried degree of success, but I thought I would show you my most favourite. this is what I would have had for my wedding had I known then what it is possible to achieve at home.

So this is it, it is not quite finished yet as I still have to make a RSVP card to go in the pocket on the right.

It is hard to see the detail on here, but the Vanilla inside is tamped around the edge with the Sage Shadow ink using the leaf stamp from Carte Postale. I then inked the edges to make them softer and printed the wedding details on to some vellum and cut it to fit over the Vanilla card. I attached the two together with some green and cream organdy ribbon. To add more interest and texture I clear embossed the leaf stamp and the dove stamp on to the vellum, It is hard to see but here is a close up.

As you can see there is a pocket on the right, this is to hold an RSVP card and perhaps accommodation and directions to the wedding.

When the invite is closed you can see that I have also clear embossed the cover. Again I have used the leaf and dove stamps from Carte Postale.

The band around the middle is used to keep the invite closed. I stamped the dove in the Sage Shadow Classic pad and very quickly poured on clear embossing powder. the powder did actually stick so I was able to emboss it.



The trouble we have here is Australia is we do not have the Craft ink pads that they have in the US. The craft ink takes longer to dry therefore lends itself perfectly to embossing, the Classic pads we have here dry incredibly quickly so it is not easy to emboss with them. One way of doing it is to stamp the image in the colour you like and then using the Stamp-a-ma-jig (see my tutorial) you can re-stamp it with Versamark and then it will emboss very easily. This is what I had planned to do had working very fast not worked! (I have since been told, and have tried and it does work, that you can actually ink up with Versamark and then straight away with the Sage Shadow and it then works like the craft inks and allows you a little time to add embossing powder!)

Here is a template for the card.


3 comments:

Mae said...

Hi Lynda

Another way you can emboss using the craft ink pads is to stamp the image on Versamark first and then stamp it on to your craft ink pad and then onto your card. Then use the embossing powder and heat etc.

Mae

Lynda Moss said...

That's a good idea Mae, I shall try that. Does it make your craft pad all messy with Versamark or is not anything to worry about?

Lynda

Mae said...

I haven't found it to affect the craft pad at this stage. Not that I do it that often.

Mae