Monday, 7 January 2008

Crayon Resist

Despite not posting on here this last week I have been busy behind the scenes!! We just celebrated my second son's 7th birthday which was fun, although I do feel sorry for humphing a birthday so close to Christmas! We shall celebrate again, with his friends, in a few weeks time so it isn't over shadowed buy everything else that has been going on.

I entered my first SCS challenge this week, it was a bit of an experience but fun. The technique we had to use was crayon resist which I had seen before although never tried.

The card I did was very sweet, but probably not the best of examples, but at least I had a go! The crayon resist is very subtle in it (or you could argue, not very well done!!!) You can see just above the stems a white highlight. The stamp set I used was Stem Silhouettes.


"What is crayon resist?" I hear you cry. It is very simple, basically you stamp your image on to glossy card stock and let it dry and then with areas you would like to highlight you draw on with a white crayon. You then cover the entire sheet of card with ink using wither a brayer or sponge. Using a dry cloth you then 'polish' up the surface of the card and you will find that the areas you highlighted with the crayon have resisted the ink and remain white.

My second attempt is better although I am not at all happy with the two hearts on the front, I will change those soon! I like the idea of the hearts, I just haven't 'done' them well. On this attempt I stamped the flowers from the preview hostess set, Time Well Spent (this will be a level 3 set in the next Idea Book and Catalogue and is well worth having!), on glossy white card using Rose Red ink, I then highlighted the petals with the crayon and brayered over with Pixie Pink (I would have preferred Regal Rose but I only have that in a Stampin' Spot which is too small to use with a brayer). So the ink didn't come out too dark I rolled the inked brayer a couple of times on some rough paper before brayering the glossy card.



After brayering I gave it a good polish and then using a Rose Red Stampin' Write Marker I coloured in the inside of the flower. After that is was just a case of assembling the card. if you can see past the hearts then the back ground is actually quite sweet!

No comments: