Thursday, 27 December 2007

Simple Lidded Boxes

Merry Christmas to you all! I hope you had a great time and are still enjoying all the festivities!

We had a great time here, the children seemed very happy with their lot, I was totally exhausted as I suffered from a nasty sickness bug just before the weekend which knocked me out for two days and it took a lot of work and late nights to catch up!

Hobart is a fantastic place to be at this time of year, tomorrow we expect the first Sydney-Hobart yachts in so, we can see them come past our window which is very exciting. The whole of the harbour area comes to life and this excitement is closely followed by the Taste of Tasmania festival which has a fantastic atmosphere!

What with Christmas and illness I have not been able to devote much time to crafting, but today I allowed myself the luxury of a little play!

I have some of the Christmas double sided paper left over so I thought I would play about with that and create some boxes. A friend asked me if I would have any tutorials on here, as I haven't got any yet I thought this would be a perfect place to start.

How to make a Lidded Box


Lidded boxes are incredibly easy to make, you only need to have a very basic equipment list.

This is what you will need:

  • Card stock or design series paper
  • A bone folder
  • A ruler
  • A cutting system of some kind
  • Double sided tape
The actual principal of measuring is very simple. The first thing you need to decide on is what size box you want, it can be square or rectangular. Once you have decided on the dimensions of your box you need to do a simple sum to get the measurements
A square box

size of card/paper to cut to get base of box = width + (2 x depth)

For example, I am making a small square box with a base of 4cm x 4cm and a depth of 4cm, the size of card I have to cut is a 12cm square.

A rectangular box is slightly more complicated, but not a lot!

width + (2 x depth) = overall width of card to cut length + (2 x depth) = overall length of card to cut


You may want the lid of the box to be the same depth as the base or you may want it to be shorter. The width must stay the same as the base but the depth can vary but must be the same or smaller than that of the base.

size of card/paper to cut to get lid = width + (2 x depth) + 2mm

don't forget if you are making a rectangular box you need to work out the second equation too to get the length and add 2mm!

In my example the lid piece is a 12.2cm square.

Once you have done this, use a ruler and bone folder to score the depth distance around all four sides of the base card and the lid card, fold, flatten and open out again. In my case I have scored 4cm all the way round.

The next step is very simple, simply cut into the corners and remove a small triangle. The thing to remember here is to make sure the 'straight' cut is always on both sides of one section. If you look at the picture I have posted you will see what I mean.

You then apply glue or double sided tape to the 'angled' corner bit and simply assemble the base and the lid. If you use glue you may need to use paper clips to hold it in place until the glue dries. I find the snail adhesive is not really strong enough for this.

As the lid is the same depth as the base it can be quite tricky to get the lid off so on opposite sides using a circle punch I have cut out a semi-circle so the box is easier to open.

I have also made a second box to the same dimensions, except this time I made it so the lid is not as deep as the box, the dimensions I cut for this was an 8.2cm square.

4cm width + (2x 2cm depth) + 2mm = 8.2cm

This box is easy to open as it stands but you can see I added a ribbon loop, more for aesthetics than anything else.

Double sided DSP is fantastic for this as the inside of the box is patterned as well. You can use these basic equations to make boxes for special cards you have made, it really is very simple and makes such a statement.

No comments: