Monday, 31 December 2007

As promised....

Here are a couple of cards I made from one of the Sale-a-Brate stamp sets available to you over the months of January and February if you spend $100 on SU! Products.

This set is called 'Merci' and is so pretty and cute. This first card was another card where my creative juices just weren't flowing and I struggled with it but as is often the case I was happy with the final outcome.

I used watercolour paper to stamp the image on and then applied the Stampin' Write Markers directly to the paper. This is the only time you can do this as the watercolour paper allows you to work and blend the ink without already have soaked in. If you tried this on standard card stock it WOULD NOT work! You can still achieve the same water colour effect on standard card stock by using the watercolour pencil or crayons, you just need to be aware not to use too much water as the card will break down.

I used Barely Banana cared for the main body of the card, I have never used this colour before and I was not happy last night but than this morning I have looked at in in a different light and I love it!
I finally managed to work out how to get the cut curved corners made with a simple circle punch and they are all the same size and shape!

For those that would like my hot tip, here it is!

  1. Put the corner of the card into a corner of your grid paper and mark of 1cm on both sides of the corner (this distance you can alter depending on how big you want your curve)
  2. Repeat this on all four corners
  3. Turn your circle punch upside down (I used the 1 3/8" one, but using different sizes will give you a different depth to the curve) and place the corner of your card in to it.
  4. Adjust the card so that the 2 pencil lines you have made are touching the outside edge of the circle.
  5. Punch and then repeat on the remaining 3 corners!


Yes I know some of you are probably thinking "That is sooooo obvious" but it wasn't to me - until now....hehe...
The second card I made for my Auntie Pam who is ill in hospital over in the UK, this again is using the Merci set with the text coming from Sincere Salutations.

I randomly stamped the butterfly and flower on to Whisper White card stock pre-folded in to a card and then used the SU! Water colour pencils and the Aqua Painters to colour them in. I then stamped two more butterflies on some scrap card, coloured them in and cut them out. I then covered these in Crystal Effects which gives them a gloss like finish (you do need to let this dry for an hour or so before handling), it doesn't show up too much on the picture but it does in real life! As I couldn't be bothered to cut around the antennae I actually cut them off and with some thin gauge silver wire I made some more and stuck them on.

The final stage was to bend the wings up slightly on my two butterflies, apply a Stampin' Dimensional pad (cut in half and placed length ways) to the bodies of the butterflies. Of course I then placed these on top of two butterfly images on the card itself. I am really pleased with this card, it is very effective and very simple and very economic on card stock!

No comments: